COME AND EXPERIENCE LA DOLCE VITA IN OUR RIDICULOUSLY WONDERFUL
COME AND EXPERIENCE LA DOLCE VITA IN OUR RIDICULOUSLY WONDERFUL
According to ancient historians, the Sabine capital of Rieti (from the name Reata), was considered during the classical age to be the geographical center of Italy (Umbilicus Italiae). Rieti is located on the particularly fertile Rieti plain (Piana Reatina), which covers approximately 90 km² and is enclosed by the Reatini Mountains to the east and the Sabine Mountains to the west. The city is divided by the Velino river, which in turn is fed by the Salto and Turano rivers, providing the capital with much of its drinking water.
The Rieti plain was originally a lake (Lacus Velinus), but was transformed into dry land during the Roman period through the creation of an opening in the lake's limestone walls near the town of Marmore, resulting in a waterfall. Small areas still remain of the original lake, these consisting of what are now Lake Piediluco, in the province of Terni, Lake Ventina, Lake Lungo and Lake Ripasottile, the latter two of which, today, form part of a nature reserve. Near Rieti are found the Cottorella springs, which supply low mineral content water, in the neighboring municipality of Cittaducale are located the Peschiera springs, through which is suppliedy via aqueduct much of the water supply for the city of Rome (some 550 million cubic meters per year), in nearby Cotilia are various important spas and sulphur springs, in the northern part of the valley are the Sources of Santa Susanna, and 2 km east of the city at an altitude of 400m are the Sorgenti del Cantaro, which are believed to be fed by a geological source located at an altitude of 450m near the town of Vazia.
Founded at the beginning of the Iron Age , Rieti was an important city to the Sabines, prior to it being conquered by the Romans in 290 BC. However, after the fall of the Roman empire to the Visigoths in the year 410 AD, it next came under the jurisdiction of the Lombards as a part of the Duchy of Spoleto. After it became part of the Papal State, it became the border to the Kingdom of Naples, and during the 13th century it was often used as the seat of the pope. After being annexed in 1860 to the Kingdom of Italy it became part of the province of Perugia, in Umbria, and in the year 1923 it was became a part of Lazio, initially as part of the province of Rome, and later, from 1927, as capital of its own province of Rieti.
Over time there were many ancient Sabine families who ascended to success in the city of Rome and followed its fate. Among these we must mention the Gens Flavia , whose best known exponent, the Emperor Titus Flavius Vespasian , began the construction of the Colosseum , or "Flavian Amphitheater", in Rome. The Roman poet and writer Marco Terenzio Varrone , born in Rieti in 116 BC, who is occasionally referred to as the "father of Roman erudition", is also often mentioned with the nickname "il Reatino ". The process of Christianization of the Rieti territory was started by San Prosdocimo in the first century  , while the diocese of Rieti was founded in the fifth century.
Middle Ages Following the fall of the Roman Empire, in the sixth century Rieti saw the arrival of the Lombards , who had entered the peninsula in 568. Barbarians and pagans, they soon converted to Christianity through the work of the Benedictine monks of the nearby Abbey of Farfa . In 592 AD the Sabina became part of the Duchy of Spoleto and Rieti was the seat of a gastaldato . After the sacking of the Saracens, which took place during the 10th century , the city was rebuilt. The figure of the Bishop assumed fundamental importance with the reconstruction of the cathedral in 1109. In 1151 the city was besieged, taken for starvation and then destroyed by Roger II the Norman .  It became a free municipality in 1171 and sided with the Guelph front, subjecting itself to papal protection.  The wedding procession of Costanza d'Altavilla On 23 August 1185 the marriage between Costanza d'Altavilla and Henry VI of Swabia , son of Frederick Barbarossa and future emperor, was celebrated in Rieti in the presence of his wife alone (Henry was detained in Germany for his mother's funeral). The marriage was repeated in Milan on January 27, 1186; Rieti was chosen for the symbolic and political value that had the approval of the Church in the first city beyond the borders of the Kingdom of Sicily met by Costanza on the way from Palermo to Milan, which she traveled accompanied by a sumptuous procession of princes and barons.  The thirteenth- century medieval walls The entire 13th century was a period of splendor and economic prosperity for the city of Rieti, which was often elected as a papal seat: over the course of a century, the popes Innocent III (1198), Honorius III (in 1219 and 1225 ) resided there. ), Gregory IX (in 1227, 1232 and 1234), Niccolò IV (between 1288 and 1289) and Boniface VIII (in 1298).  This period of splendor coincided, moreover, with the presence of St.Francis of Assisi , who proved to greatly appreciate the places of the Piana Reatina (for this reason also known as Valle Santa ) and stayed there several times: the first probably in 1209 , then a long stay in 1223 and another from autumn 1225 to April 1226, shortly before his death.  During these stays he founded the four sanctuaries of Greccio , La Foresta , Poggio Bustone and Fonte Colombo and the creation of the first living nativity scene , still today a world symbol of Christianity, took place, the drafting of the took place Definitive rule of the Franciscan orderand (probably) the composition of the Canticle of creatures . Following the indignation of the people during Holy Thursday of 1228 and subsequent threats, the Roman citizens forced Pope Gregory IX to flee Rome , however giving him a safe conduct for Rieti. The story relates to the question relating to the excommunication inflicted on Frederick II of Swabia for the continuous postponement of the crusade already promised to Pope Honorius III . On 13 July 1234, in the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta , Pope Gregory IX canonized St. Dominic , founder of the Dominican order .  On 29 May 1289 Charles II of Anjou , son and successor of Charles I of Anjou , was crowned King of Sicily and Jerusalem in the Rieti cathedral by Pope Nicholas IV . During the Avignon captivity , Rieti was conquered by the king of Naples and fights raged between Guelphs and Ghibellines, of which the powerful Roman families (among all that of the Orsini ) took advantage to establish a feudal dominion over the territory.  The dominion of the Roman nobles was stopped by an expedition of Cardinal Albornoz in 1354  , which preceded the Pope's definitive return to Rome in 1377. In 1378 Rieti was given over to Cecco Alfani, whose family ruled until 1425. 
Modern age Map of the Sabina territory (1790) The sixteenth century was characterized by the emergence of large landowners such as the Vincentini, the Vecchiarelli, the Potenziani, who, taking advantage of the fertile Rieti plain still undergoing reclamation, often gave birth to agricultural companies. The Piana Reatina was known in the eighteenth century for the quantity of ford present in the lake area, which was used to dye the uniforms of the Napoleonic troops blue. Between 1798 and 1799, during the Roman Republic , Rieti was the district capital and together with the districts of Foligno and Spoleto it was part of the Clitunno Department ( Spoleto capital ). Upon the annexation of the Papal State to the Kingdom of Italy by the Napoleonic Empire (1809), Rieti was included in the Department of Rome and in 1812 it was made head of an arrondissement . Following the restoration , in 1816 Pope Pius VII divided the State of the Church into 17 delegations, where Rieti was the capital of the Rieti Delegation (3rd class delegation, the least important) with district government headquarters in Rieti and Poggio Mirteto . In 1850 Pius IX united the delegations into five large legations; that of Rieti, together with Perugia and Spoleto , became part of the III Legation of Umbria with Perugia as its capital . Thanks also to its strategic position, on the border between the Papal state and the kingdom of the Two Sicilies , the city of Rieti was very active during the Risorgimento . On 7 March 1821 the battle of Rieti-Antrodoco , considered the first of the Risorgimento , saw the defeat of the Carbonari of Guglielmo Pepe by the Austrians led by General Johann M. Von Frimont , who was awarded the title of Prince of Antrodoco by the King Ferdinand I for the victory. In the short duration of the Roman Republic, three Rieti and one mirtense ( Francesco Battistini , Giuseppe Maffei , Mario Simeoni and Ippolito Vicentini ) were part of the constituent assembly  , while Giuseppe Garibaldi , together with his wife Anita , was in Rieti for almost three months , from 29 January to 13 April 1849, to guard the borders with the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies . The general lodged in the palace of the Marquis Colelli and requisitioned the Bishop's Palace to use it as a dormitory for his "Roman Legion".  On his departure he was followed by numerous volunteers who joined the legion, including the young Rieti people Michele Paolessi and Carlo Tosi who lost their lives in the siege of Rome . 
Monuments and places of interest Characteristic is the historic center, located on a slight hill at the edge of the Rieti basin, protected on one side by a wall of medieval origin which is still well preserved. Via Roma , one of the liveliest in the center, divides the city into the medieval districts of San Francesco , San Rufo , della Verdura and Santa Lucia . The city can count on the presence of two Franciscan sanctuaries, that of Fonte Colombo and that of La Foresta and the proximity to two others, located in the nearby municipalities of Greccio and Poggio Bustone . Many pilgrims arrive, in fact, in the "Holy Valley" to retrace, with the journey of Francis , the deeds and moments of the life of St. Francis of Assisi . Religious architectures Magnifying glass icon mgx2.svg The same topic in detail: Churches of Rieti . The interior of the Cathedral and the bell tower Cathedral Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta Built between 1109 and 1225, it has a Romanesque exterior and a Baroque interior. The complex includes a crypt, the bell tower of 1252, the baptistery (which houses the Diocesan Museum of Rieti ), the portico of 1458 and several eighteenth-century chapels, including the one dedicated to Santa Barbara, designed by Bernini. Inside there are sculptures by Gian Lorenzo Bernini , Giovanni Antonio Mari , Lorenzo Ottoni , Federico di Filippo di Ubaldo da Firenze and paintings by Antoniazzo Romano , his son Marcantonio Aquili , Lorenzo Torresani , Andrea Sacchi , Giovan Francesco Romanelli , Lattanzio Niccoli and Vincenzo Manenti .  The basilica of Sant'Agostino Basilica of Sant'Agostino Raised in the middle of the 13th century, it is one of the most important churches in Rieti. The facade, in Romanesque-Gothic style, is in stone and has an entrance portal surmounted by a tympanum and a rose window , and ends with a slightly protruding attic . The interior, with a single nave, is surmounted by wooden trusses and ends in three apses on which a mullioned window and two mullioned windows open . Church of San Domenico The church of San Domenico was built in 1266, the day after the canonization (which took place in Rieti) of the founder of the Dominican order . It was recovered and reopened after a deterioration that lasted for almost two centuries. The interior is consequently rather bare, but two frescoes by Liberato da Rieti have been saved (one of which was detached and moved to the Civic Museum in the sixties) and the imposing Dom Bedos-Roubo organ was built there , measuring 14 meters high and is built on the basis of two eighteenth-century treaties.  Convent of San Domenico (cloister of Beata Colomba and oratory of San Pietro martire) Attached to the church of San Domenico is the former convent, which includes the cloister of the Beata Colomba, adorned with frescoed lunettes and an Italian garden and the oratory of San Pietro martire , a small chapel that houses an important fresco of the Universal Judgment by the brothers Lorenzo and Bartolomeo Torresani (1552-1554); however, the convent is part of the Verdirosi barracks  and a permit is required to enter it, only on pre-established days. - the church of San Francesco Church of San Francesco Built in 1253, it overlooks the square of the same name; it was the second church to be dedicated to the cult of the saint, after the basilica of Assisi . Made in Romanesque-Gothic style with a very simple pediment facade , in stone, equipped with a splayed door topped by a lunette and a small rose window. The interior has three naves, with a trussed roof that replaces the original Baroque vault that collapsed during the 1898 earthquake . Next to the actual church is the oratory of San Bernardino and the former convent with a cloister, seat of the scientific high school Carlo Jucci scientific high school. Inside the church every year the celebrations for the June Antoniano take place and from here the procession of Sant'Antonio starts . The Sanctuary of Fonte Colombo Franciscan sanctuaries of the Holy Valley In the surroundings of Rieti there are the four sanctuaries founded by San Francesco d'Assisi , which give the plain on which Rieti stands the name of Valle Santa . The sanctuaries of Fonte Colombo and della Foresta fall within the municipal area of Rieti , located in an isolated position on two hills at the edge of the plain, near the hamlets of Sant'Elia and Castelfranco respectively ; to these are added those of Greccio and Poggio Bustone, located in their respective neighboring municipalities. The path that connects the four sanctuaries is a well-known and much visited pilgrimage path, called the path of Francis . Church of Sant'Antonio Abate Commissioned from Vignola in 1570 and completed in the 17th century, it is part of a 14th century architectural complex which also includes a hospital and a cemetery; the building is closed to the public, abandoned in a state of profound decay. Church of Santa Lucia The church and convent of Santa Lucia were founded in 1253 thanks to the interest of the blessed Angelo Tancredi . The currently visible church is the result of interventions dating back to the first half of the eighteenth century. The convent was very important in the past, and there were nuns three grandchildren of Bernini , who for this reason created two statues and the main altar, which are kept in the church, and perhaps a painting (more likely the work of Ciro Ferri ). The convent, expropriated after the unification of Italy, houses a cultural center which includes the Paronian municipal library and a section of the Civic Museum . The church of San Rufo and the monument that marks the center of Italy Church of San Rufo The church of San Rufo is located in the small square of the same name in which, according to tradition, the center of Italy is located ( Umbilicus Italiae ). The church has early medieval origins , but the currently visible building dates back to 1748 and is the work of Melchiorre Passalacqua . The exterior is in neoclassical style, while the interior is Baroque and houses the most important painting in the city, The Guardian Angel ,  now considered the work of Spadarino but in the past even attributed to Caravaggio .  former Church of Santa Scolastica Built between 1696 and 1717 on a project by Francesco Fontana , it is the only church in Rieti with a Greek cross plan ; it is deconsecrated and constitutes the Auditorium Varrone. Church of San Pietro Martire It was built in 1266 by the Cistercian Fathers. The façade in travertine ashlars bordered by two pilasters is extremely simple and the most important element is the portal of 1546, the work of Giacomo da Locarno and Stefano da Como, which has six stone columns (three on each side) resting each one, on a shield depicting a bust of San Piero and supporting an architrave. The former church of San Pietro Apostolo This portal was originally located in the facade of the oratory of San Pietro martire (church of San Domenico) and was moved in 1576 to its current position. former Church of San Pietro Apostolo Of origin prior to the 12th century, it is located in via Roma ; deconsecrated, it is home to a bookshop. Convent of Sant'Antonio al Monte Built at the end of the 15th century, it is located on the San Biagio hill to the south of the city. The church was extensively renovated in the mid-17th century. former Church of San Giovenale and San Vincenzo Ferreri , known as Santa Maria della Scala The church, deconsecrated and known as the Poor's Auditorium , hosts cultural events. Inside is the bas-relief The genius of death by Bertel Thorvaldsen , a pupil of Canova , commissioned by Angelo Maria Ricci for the tomb of his wife Isabella Ricci Alfani. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses Seventh Day Adventist Church Assemblies of God in Italy (ADI) International Christian Evangelical Missionary Church Christian-Orthodox Church of Saints Barbara and Giuseppe Nuovo of Patros Peace Mosque Civil architectures The remains of the Roman Bridge , lying on the backdrop of the Velino Remains of the Roman Bridge Built in the third century BC, the Roman Bridge was part of the ancient consular Via Salaria , and represented the main access to the city from the south, as well as the connection between the historic center and the Borgo district. It was demolished in the 1930s due to the insufficient height above the river level, which had flooded and damaged it several times. The remains of the bridge were placed in the waters and emerge from the Velino seabed, next to the modern bridge built after the war. Flavio Vespasiano Theater Located along Via Garibaldi, an intense theatrical activity takes place every year. It was built in the late nineteenth century and the acoustics of the theater are considered the best in Italy and one of the best in the world.    The Bishop's Palace and the vaults on the ground floor Bishop's Palace or Papal Palace Built in 1283 due to the presence of the papal curia in Rieti, the Palazzo Vescovile was the home of several popes. It is located to the right of the Cathedral, with the side along via Cintia. The Romanesque façade contains a loggia, restored to its original appearance with a restoration at the beginning of the twentieth century. The ground floor houses majestic Gothic cross vaults with two naves, supported by six pillars; on the first floor there is the audience hall, which since 2005 has housed the picture gallery of the diocesan museum . Town Hall Town Hall It is the most important building in piazza Vittorio Emanuele II and is the seat of the town hall as well as the civic museum . The building is the result of many expansion and renovation works on a structure dating back to the 13th century.  The facade (by Filippo Brioni , 1748) has a late Baroque style with two rows of windows, and culminates in a small bell tower; on the ground floor there is a portico, under which there is a bust of Giuseppe Garibaldi and one of Vittorio Emanuele II. On its left side stands a five-storey tower covered in travertine, built in 1940. Palazzo Dosi Delfini It stands on Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II and is the seat of the Sabina Universitas . The facade, in ashlar of limestone, integrates elements of the late Baroque with some neoclassical elements. Inside the palace there is a small elliptical courtyard and a bronze statue of Santa Barbara can be observed on the first floor . Vignolesque gardens and loggia Facade of Palazzo Vincentini Vincentini Palace (of the Prefecture or of the Government) It is a Renaissance palace that stands on Piazza Cesare Battisti; today it is the seat of the prefecture . Its restructuring in its present form began in 1589 on a debated attribution project: in the past it was attributed to Vignola due to the shapes that recall him, but today it is believed that it is the work of Giovan Domenico Bianchi. The side facing the Cathedral has a splendid loggia formed by two orders of arches, which overlooks an Italian garden from which you can enjoy a panoramic view of the south side of the city; the garden has been publicly accessible since 1927, when the Vincentini family ceded the building to the newly born province of Rieti. Inside, the ground floor is decorated with paintings from 1932 depicting Marco Terenzio Varrone and Tito Flavio Vespasiano ; on the first floor there are the rooms where the Prefect is staying , and the polychrome marble fireplace dating back to the sixteenth century, which bears inscriptions in gold, is of particular importance. Palazzo Vecchiarelli Palazzo Vecchiarelli It is located along via Roma , with an imposing portal and an elegant late Renaissance facade. It was built at the end of the 16th century on a project by Carlo Maderno  . Vincenti Mareri Palace Dating back to the 19th century, it is the historic residence of the Vincenti Mareri counts. Its current neoclassical appearance is the work of Giuseppe Valadier , who enlarged it by merging it with the existing Aligeri and Cerroni palaces. Two ashlar portals give access to the internal courtyard, where there is an Italian garden with a fountain on which there is a terracotta statue of Ceres, a copy of a Roman original.  Ricci Palace Example of neoclassical architecture , it has the facade in Piazza Oberdan and the side in Piazza Mazzini. It belonged to the noble family of Angelo Maria Ricci ; today it houses the municipal administration offices. The palace was the seat of a remarkable collection of pictorial works mainly from the seventeenth century, whose flagship was the original plaster of the Hebe by Antonio Canova currently preserved in the Civic Museum of Rieti . Potenziani Palace Potenziani Fabri Palace It is located in via dei Crispolti and inside it houses a series of frescoes. Founded in the thirteenth century, it was owned first by the Fabri and then by the Potenziani until 1979, when it underwent a demanding restoration, which allowed to bring it back to its original appearance. Today it belongs to the Varrone Foundation , which has located its headquarters there; for this reason it is not always open to visitors. Secenari Palace Dating back to the fourteenth century, it is located in via Roma and is distinguished by a fifteenth-century mullioned window. Seminary Palace Built in the place of the Palazzo Pretorio and the Podestà (late 13th century), it was transformed into a diocesan seminary and inaugurated in 1564; it was the first seminary to be established according to the norms of the Council of Trent  , if we exclude the very small seminary of Larino . The works for the transformation of the building were directed by Vignola , but the enlargements of the following centuries make it difficult to identify the characteristics of his intervention. Crispolti Palace Built in the early eighteenth century on a project by Michele Chiesa from Como, with a facade redesigned in 1814 by Giuseppe Subleyras. In 1877 it was sold by the Crispolti family to the then Cassa di Risparmio di Rieti and rearranged on a project by the engineer Angelo Blasetti; since then it has housed the offices of its headquarters.  Post Office Building Built in 1934, it is located at the end of via Garibaldi and is the work of the architect Cesare Bazzani . Seat of the Provincial Command of the Carabinieri Located in the Micioccoli district, the building was built in 2003 based on a project by the architect Manfredi Nicoletti .  Walls The medieval walls , respectively along Piazza Marconi and Viale Morroni Magnifying glass icon mgx2.svg The same topic in detail: Walls of Rieti . Roman walls The Roman walls have largely disappeared, but numerous traces remain, especially in cases where buildings from a later period have reused the blocks. Medieval walls Dating back to the 13th century, they are considered among the most impressive and best preserved in Lazio .  They encircle the city throughout the northern side, and formed an effective defensive system together with the Velino river and the cavatelle , now drained, of the Borgo and Fiume de 'Nobili. Along the walls there are five doors: Porta d'Arci Porta d'Arci , to the east, on the Via Salaria to Cittaducale , L'Aquila and Ascoli Piceno ; Porta Conca , to the north; still retains the wooden shutters of the sixteenth century; Porta San Giovanni , to the north, at the end of via Pennina which forms the north-south axis of the historic center with via Roma. Walled up in the 15th century, its traces are still visible and a small passage allows the passage of pedestrians; Porta Cintia , to the north-west, on the road to Terni ; it was destroyed during the Second World War and in its place there are today two buildings of reinforced concrete in the rationalist style ; Porta Romana , to the south, across the river, on the Via Salaria to Rome . Streets, squares and medieval arches Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II The fountain of the Dolphins in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II It is the main square of the city. On it overlook the Town Hall and Palazzo Dosi as well as the historic cafes Gengarelli and Quattro Stagioni. Inside is the seventeenth-century fountain of the Dolphins .  Via Roma It is the main street in the center of Rieti, and represents its thistle . The road surface is supported by the arches of the Roman viaduct of the III century BC, which constituted the urban part of the ancient Via Salaria ; the viaduct can be visited via the guided tour of the underground Rieti , which winds through the cellars of the noble palaces that line the street.  Via Cintia and via Garibaldi Via Cintia and Via Garibaldi constitute the decumanus of the city; along them there are some of the most important buildings of Rieti. Piazza San Rufo Center of Italy Piazza San Rufo is a small typically medieval square, reachable by four narrow alleys. In addition to hosting the church of the same name (described above), tradition identifies in it the exact location of the geographical center of the Italian peninsula ( Umbilicus Italiae ). To remember it there is a monument (built in 2001 and jokingly called "la caciotta" for its circular and low shape that resembles a wheel of cheese) and a plate. Arco di Bonifacio VIII or Arco del Vescovo It crosses via Cintia leaning on the Bishop's Palace , it was built by Pope Boniface VIII in 1298, after having witnessed in terror an earthquake that struck the city. The arch of Santa Lucia (13th century) Other medieval arches The streets of the historic center of Rieti are dotted with medieval arches; among others we remember those of Santa Lucia (XIII century), of the Seminary and of via del Forno. Wells area The area of via dei Pozzi is characterized by an urban fabric typical of the medieval city, with narrow alleys and arches. "Pincetto" The "pincetto" is a ramp that connects piazza Oberdan with via Centuroni, so called due to the analogy with that of the Pincio in Rome . Museums The picture gallery of the diocesan museum Civic Museum It consists of a historical-artistic section, located in the Palazzo Comunale, and an archaeological section, located a short distance away in the former monastery of Santa Lucia . Among the main works preserved there are: a Hebe by Antonio Canova (1815), a polyptych by Luca di Tommè (1370), various works by Antoniazzo Romano including the Madonna del Latte (the oldest attributed to him, 1464), the triptych Crucifixion by Zanino di Pietro and various works by Rieti Antonio Gherardi from Rieti , Carlo Cesi and Antonino Calcagnadoro (to whom an entire room is dedicated); in the archaeological section sculptures, coins, goldsmiths and objects from the prehistoric, Etruscan, Hellenistic and Roman periods are exhibited, including a hut urn from the Iron Age from the necropolis of Campo Reatino . Diocesan Museum of Ecclesiastical Heritage It is a museum itinerary consisting of the Museo del Tesoro del Duomo (housed in the baptistery of the Cathedral), a museum of liturgical furnishings (located in rooms adjacent to the Crypt of the Cathedral), a lapidary (located in the vestibule that leads from the crypt to the Bishop's Palace), and the Diocesan Art Gallery (set up in the audience hall of the Bishop's Palace). Monuments The monument to the Lira National Monument to the Lira In Piazza Cavour there is a monument dedicated to the Italian lira , inaugurated on 1st March 2003 following the introduction of the Euro . Made with the fusion of 2 200 000 200 lire coins  at the Caggiati Foundries in Parma, designed by Daniela Fusco, the work represents turreted Italy holding a large one Lira coin, while on one of the many drapes that surround it is imprinted with the inscription "Italy for the Lira". The front face of the coin bears the engraving of the Lira minted in 1951, while the back originally corresponded to that of the one lira coin .issued in 1861, but was replaced in 2008 and today the statue holds a coin with the obverse of the first and last Lira minted. The statue faces the Roman Bridge , while on one side flows a small stream of water that symbolizes the Velino river , the symbol of the wealth of Rieti and its province: water. Rieti was chosen for the location of the monument for its symbolic value, given that the Sabine capital is historically recognized as the center of the peninsula . War Memorial The war memorial, the work of the sculptor Giuseppe Inghilleri and Giuseppe Calcagnadoro, is located in Piazza Mazzini and represents the figure of Victory supporting a war hero shot to death  . It was inaugurated together with the Palazzo degli Studi (classical high school / magistral institute) on June 13, 1926. Natural areas Skiers at Terminillo The Leonessano side of the Terminillo in summer Mount Terminillo The municipality of Rieti includes a large part of Mount Terminillo (2216 m asl), the third highest peak in the Lazio, which is a very popular destination during the winter season. Thousands of people, coming from all over the region, take advantage of the ski season to appreciate the beauty of the mountains, taking advantage of the numerous hotels present. However, the number of tourists has greatly decreased over the last thirty years, mainly due to obsolete and unchanged systems for decades, and the lack of rapid connections with other cities. The large crowds of tourists, especially Romans, regularly present in the sixties and seventies (so much so as to give the Terminillo the nickname of "Mountain of Rome"), gradually poured into the nearby Abruzzo mountains, better equipped and connected to Rome from A24 motorway. Today we are trying to give new impetus to the mountain, an example is the realization of the lighting of a section of the cross-country tracks which can thus also be used at night, and the modernization of some facilities. However, the mountain does not offer attractions only for ski lovers: in fact, even in summer it lends itself to excursions along the marked paths of the CAI . A stretch of the Conca Reatina cycle path Piana Reatina The plain where Rieti stands is a predominantly cultivated area and still scarcely anthropized. Surrounded by Terminillo and the Sabine mountains , it offers a picturesque landscape made up of fields planted with corn or sunflowers , rural houses and waterways. In the summer, many people from Rieti go for a walk or to play sports along the many farm roads that run along it or in the cycle path of the Conca Reatina . Partial nature reserve of the Lungo and Ripasottile lakes The Long Lake Inside the Piana Reatina there is also the natural reserve of the Lungo and Ripasottile lakes, which is about 7 km from the capital and extends for 3200 hectares, divided between the territory of Rieti and the neighboring municipalities.  Inside there are Lago Lungo and Lago di Ripasottile , the only natural water basins left after the drying up of the ancient Lago Velino , around which a wetland dominated by reeds extends ; in the reserve you can see mallards , hens and , heronsand other migratory birds . Way of Francis It is the pilgrimage path that winds through the Reatina plain and retraces the steps of St. Francis of Assisi in the Holy Valley , touching the four Franciscan sanctuaries ( Greccio , La Foresta , Fonte Colombo and Poggio Bustone ) and other symbolic places of Franciscanism . It is a valid proposal both in the field of religious tourismthan in the naturalistic field. The route, about 80 km long, is divided into eight stages and also touches the center of Rieti. Since 2003 it has been equipped with signs and indications that allow travelers to find their way along the route, and a certificate called "Passport" has also been created, given to all those who undergo the trip, which documents the actual completion of the route, to be stamped at each stage. The stretch of the Velino river behind the church of San Francesco Velino River The river Velino crosses the city and delimits the historic center to the south, separating it from the Borgo district, and once formed its natural defense together with the walls . It still retains much of the clarity that has always characterized it, so much so that even the city stretch is inhabited by geese and mallards , regularly visible even in the most central stretches of the river. There are few avenues in Rieti riverside avenues, which is why the banks of the Velino have a "green" and not urbanized aspect. The left bank of the river (the southern one) today is entirely followed by a cycle / pedestrian path, a destination for those who like to run outdoors or simply walk or cycle, which forms a kind of urban park and in its first section is equipped with benches and gymnastic equipment (so-called "Giorlandina"). The Velino is crossed by seven bridges, from west to east: the "Iron Bridge" (road and rail), the Campo Scuola cycle-pedestrian bridge , Ponte Giovanni XXIII, Ponte Romano , the cycle-pedestrian bridge between piazza San Francesco-piazza Cavour, and Ponte Cavallotti . Fonte Cottorella The sources of Fonte Cottorella are located about a kilometer south of the city; from these sources gushes a low mineral content water. Around the springs there is a green area with benches and tables, as well as a spa and a restaurant. Path on the hill of the Forest Hill of the Forest The Colle della Foresta (600 meters above sea level) is a hill located north-east of the city, represents the extreme southern offshoot of the Reatini mountains , and is interposed between the Micioccoli and Campoloniano districts. Its summit can be reached by taking the provincial road n. 7 ; on it there is the hamlet of Castelfranco and the sanctuary of the Forest . Several paths, especially near the sanctuary, allow you to immerse yourself in the dense vegetation that covers it. On the hill there are also a restaurant and a golf club. Colle San Mauro Colle San Mauro (530 meters above sea level  ) is located east of the historic center and south of the Villa Reatina district. Along the road that leads you for 400 meters, starting from the central Porta D'Arci , there is a pine forest equipped as an urban park, with picnic tables, and a few hundred meters further on a lookout, from where you can enjoy an excellent panorama of the historic city center. On the hill there are also the convent of the Capuchin friars and the Villa Potenziani (now a hotel). The vegetation includes holm oaks, firs and Aleppo pines .  The "victims 6 April 2009" park in via Liberato di Benedetto City parks Among the municipal public parks, the main one is the park "victims of 6 April 2009" in via Liberato di Benedetto (extended for two and a half hectares), where the Student's Day is held every year. Smaller (around one hectare) are the "6 giugno 1944" park in Campomoro, the "Coriandolo" park in Madonna del Cuore (where the Rieti Sport Festival is held annually) and the "Paul Harris" in Micioccoli.
FARA IN SABINA
Monumenti e luoghi d'interesse Modifica Architetture religiose Modifica La celebre abbazia di Farfa. Collegiata di Sant'Antonio del XVI secolo Chiesa di San Giacomo del 1619 Chiesa di Santa Chiara del 1643, oggi sconsacrata e sala di cerimonie municipale. Monastero Clarisse Eremite, costruito nel XVII secolo sulle rovine del castello, tuttora convento di clausura. Architetture civili Modifica Palazzo Orsini del XV secolo Palazzo Farnese del 1585 Palazzo Foschi, poi Manfredi, del XV secolo Palazzo Castellani, poi Brancaleoni, oggi sede del Museo civico Deposito del grano e monte di pietà (XV secolo), oggi sede della Biblioteca comunale Cisterna di piazza del Duomo, costruita dai Farnese nel 1588. Aree naturali Modifica Riserva naturale di Nazzano, Tevere-Farfa Aceretum La Cianfronara (Borgo Quinzio) Siti archeologici Modifica Resti della città preromana di Cures Sabini Ruderi di San Martino Ruderi della Torre Baccelli
Monumenti e luoghi d'interesse Modifica Il castello di Montenero in una fotografia del 1932 Il centro storico del paese si sviluppa su un declivio, sulla cui sommità si trova il castello che è il suo punto più alto. Castello di Montenero Nonostante la struttura originaria sia stata trasformata da modifiche e aggiunte apportate in epoca successiva, il castello di Montenero conserva ancora una delle sue torri e le sue mura di cinta. In origine, lungo tali mura, si aprivano due porte: Porta Riella e Porta Mola. Chiesa di San Cataldo L'«interessante» chiesa parrocchiale del paese è dedicata a San Cataldo vescovo di Taranto. Fu quasi completamente ricostruita nel 1735 e riconsacrata dal vescovo Eustachio Entreri. Sul pavimento ci sono alcune iscrizioni, una delle quali ricorda un membro della famiglia Lavi.
TORRI IN SABINA
Monumenti e luoghi d'interesse Modifica Architetture religiose Modifica La Chiesa di Santa Maria della Lode a Vescovio, risalente ai primi decenni del IX secolo, cattedrale della diocesi sabina fino al suo definitivo trasferimento a Magliano Sabina nel 1733; all'interno si conservano importanti affreschi del XII secolo con Storie dell'antico e nuovo testamento nelle pareti laterali e un Giudizio universale nella parete di contro-facciata; Altre chiese, come quelle di San Valentino (era situata accanto alla antica porta ternana, distrutta dalle mine tedesche della Seconda Guerra Mondiale), San Nicola di Bari, della Madonna del Colle, San Giovanni Battista e di Sant'Egidio; Nella frazione di Rocchette sorgono: la chiesa del SS. Salvatore e la cappella di San Sebastiano; Nella frazione di Rocchettine sorge la chiesa di San Lorenzo. Architetture militari Modifica Due insediamenti fortificati medievali, denominati Rocchette e Rocchettine, le cui prime notizie risalgono al XIV secolo, appartenuti entrambi alla famiglia dei Savelli. Oggi Rocchette è trasformato in centro abitato, mentre Rocchettine è in stato di abbandono dall'inizio degli anni '50. Al suo interno la chiesa di San Lorenzo, da poco restaurata, aperta al pubblico solo il 10 agosto (giorno di S. Lorenzo, patrono di Rocchettine) e visitabile su richiesta. Siti archeologici Modifica L'area archeologica del municipium romano di Forum Novum (II secolo a.C. ), di cui parlano Plinio, Virgilio e Frontino. Dopo la conquista militare romana è stato edificato un foro, in epoca augustea, assegnato alla tribu' Crustumina, accorpato alla regio IV Samnium et Sabina, cessa la propria funzione nel III d.c. Successivamente il territorio fece parte probabilmente della provincia romana Flaminia et Valeria Dioecesis Italiciana imperiale suburbicaria, dopo la cristianizzazione delle diocesi in epoca alto medioevale dal 465 fu sede vescovile poi ecclesia cathedralis Sabinorum fino al 1733.
Places of interest The Hermitage of San Cataldo , near Cottanello Roman villa of Cottanello Hermitage of San Cataldo Gate of the Kingdom Church of San Luigi Rinaldi Institute Orsini Palace Church of Sant'Andrea Apostolo Via del Sole Guard post and defensive tower Porta Romana Corridor Street
Monuments and places of interest Edit Religious architectures Edit Sant'Oreste1.jpg Collegiate church of San Lorenzo martire The parish church of the town was built starting from 1568 on an original design by Vignola  , at the behest of Cardinal Alessandro Farnese , to replace a smaller Romanesque church of the XII - XIII century , of which the bell tower is preserved , with mullioned windows in travertine . In 1745 it was enlarged by eliminating the sixteenth century apse . The façade is divided into two orders by means of pilasters with Doric capitals and an entablature of the first order which supports a central tympanum above the portal ; in the upper part there are fittings with lateral volutes. The interior has a single nave , covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, with chapels covered by a barrel vault along the sides. The church houses the eighteenth- century altarpiece of the main altar with the Martyrdom of San Lorenzo , the work of the painter Ceccherini, a canvas with the Madonna del Rosario , made on the occasion of the battle of Lepanto , a sixteenth-century pulpit in gilded wood and an organ from 1638 on the counter -façade , made by the Bonifazi family organ builders. Church of San Biagio, in the historic center Church of San Nicola, in the historic center Church of Santa Croce, in the historic center Oratory of the Madonnella, in the historic center Church of Sant'Edisto, outside the historic center, near the cemetery Church of Santa Maria Hospitalis, outside the historic center Civil architectures Edit Abbey of San Silvestro Palazzo Caccia (former abbey palace) Rosati Palace Porta Valle or Porta San Silvestro Porta Costa or Porta Santa Maria Porta la Dentro or Porta Sant'Edisto Historic squares Edit Piazza Principe di Piemonte Orazio Moroni square Piazza Vittorio Emanuele ( platea Communis ) Piazza Carlo Alberto ("square of the goats", "square of the fence")
Cathedral The church's facade. The church's interior The cathedral has a huge Romanesque gate, with magnificent floral friezes. The interior has three naves, and the middle one is surmounted with a lunette representing the Virgin and the Child. The Renaissance hall has several chapels: the most venerated image of Farfa is housed in the Crucifix Chapel. The interior wall of the façade has a large canvas depicting the Last Judgment (1571) by the Flemish painter Hendrick van den Broeck. Ruins of the ancient 9th century church are included in the church and the monastery. In 1961, in the apse, a precious Roman sarcophagus from the 1st or 2nd century AD was discovered. The large cloister is from the 16th century. The bell tower belongs to the original Carolingian buildings. Inside, at the lower end, Abbot Sichard had an oratory built.
Copyright © 2021 Palazzo Menichelli - All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by Elegantly Wasted Design